Election Procedures Manager
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Posted on: 21/04/2017
Job type: Permanent
$90,890 - $100,429 per annum plus superannuation
Melbourne CBD location
The Victorian Electoral Commission (VEC) conducts State and local council elections and is responsible for promoting public awareness and understanding of electoral issues in the Victorian community.
A unique full-time permanent opportunity exists for a VPS5.1 Election Procedures Manager to join as a key member of the VEC's Election Administration leadership team. This is a new role, reporting directly to the Election Administration Manager and Deputy Commissioner, Liz Williams.
Your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Driving the design and maintenance of standard operating procedures that instruct the VEC's election workforce for Victorian State and local government elections to ensure the 20,000 staff deliver fair and impartial elections, are compliant with legislation and continue to improve the voting experience for Victorians
- Liaising with multiple stakeholders from across the VEC to organise, develop and review election operating procedures and supporting documentation to ensure they are of high quality and are fit-for-purpose
- Determining any additional staff or resources required to achieve key deliverables
- Managing this small project team of technical writers and/or reviewers
- Contribute to the recruitment, management and development of this team
- Taking ownership of the VEC's information suite for prospective and current candidates wanting to stand for election and guiding them through the nomination and election process
- Managing the candidate support services during electoral events and liaising with external stakeholders, including political parties.
To be successful in this role, the following capabilities are essential:
- Previous expertise in capturing, illustrating, and communicating complex and tightly regulated processes using traditional written and contemporary mediums
- Demonstrated leadership and strong project management skills
- Outstanding communication, negotiation, influencing, and strategic stakeholder management skills, particularly in the areas of procedural innovation, integrity, and review
- Experience in developing effective instructional materials and standard operating procedures
- The ability to work autonomously with limited guidance in managing a number of simultaneous projects
- Previous experience in managing others and small project teams.
Previous operational experience in elections or working in a similar events management organisation would be desirable.
If you would like to make a meaningful contribution to the democratic process, please follow the appropriate link and apply with your CV and a short cover letter addressing the first four abovementioned capabilities. For any questions, please contact Nellie Romanova at Nellie.firstname.lastname@example.org or connect on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/nellieromanova
* Please note, that the VEC cannot offer employment to anyone who is or has been a member of a political party in past 15 years* This is in accordance with section 75 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010, and Section 17A of the Electoral Act 2002.